Saturday, May 25, 2013

DAY 1 - TRAVEL,...lots of it!

from Music City USA,..to LA,...to Seoul, Korea,...to Hanoi, Vietnam


Our adventure began with an early morning check-in at the American counter at BNA. Unfortunately hordes of travelers were lined up and waiting to have their bags checked, passports scanned and patience tested. Los Angeles was their destination and people were hyped. So we joined the line and made the best of the American mayhem. 

Korean Air

When I began looking at flights several months ago Michelle advised me to search for 2 things -- 1. shortest travel time  2. flights on Korean Air,....and boy am I glad she did!

After landing in LA we realized quickly that we needed to find the International Concourse. After a long walk around LAX and tour around the construction we landed in another world,...where very few fair-haired, blue-eyed people exist. The Korean Air ticket agent was very kind and helpful, advising us to get to the gate early because "it requires an hour of boarding".

After a leisurely lunch and a quiet respite of checking emails and Facebook I left Graham to go check the status of boarding (the dialect was difficult to understand via the loud speaker). I was surprised to find a busy and organized crew setting up for our boarding. We were flying on a big plane and this crew was prepared to get us onboard in an efficient manner.

The flight attendants were beautiful, poised and very accommodating. Each with flawless, porcelain like skin, uniforms that fit like a glove and smiles that helped you feel at ease. 

As we boarded the plane we realized why some people pay the extra money for an upgrade. The First Class seats were very impressive. And we didn't even see the Priority Class area!  


Our LONG flight was pretty uneventful, just lloonnngggg. We were very thankful for the 'extras' Korean Air provides for their passengers.  Soft blankets, bottled water, good food (and alot of it), personal video screens for watching movies/TV shows, listening to music, playing games, watching the flight progress or our landings and take-offs.  In spite of the perks, it was tough for either of us to sleep. We were both thankful to feel the wheels touch the ground in Seoul. 




Graham and I knew we had about an hour and a half before our plane left for Hanoi. So, we decided to get something to eat (an American snack).  While going through security, the officer asked if I had a laptop, iPad, etc. I said "yes" and began searching through my backpack. No iPad. There we were in a busy security line in a foreign country and I realize I left an electronic device on another plane on the other side of the airport. PANIC. So, we hustled through security and began looking for our departure gate. Seoul has a BIG AIRPORT,..it was a long walk.  (At this point we've been awake for many hours, any distance would have been a long walk....)



We find our gate. I am in hopes there is a Korean Air official that can assist me. Of course there is no one in sight, so I drop my backpack, give Graham instructions and take off in search of anyone who could help. Several hundred yards down the concourse, I discover a Korean Air employee. I told her of my plight in slow minimalist English. She points to my gate and smiles. (She is not comprehending...) I reformulated my sentence and asked again. She shook her head "no". Frustrated, I said thank you and turned to leave. Behind me stood a young Korean college student. he had overheard my attempts to communicate. He smiled, looked at her and translated. She immediately told me in broken english "upstairs transfer desk". I said "thank you" and took off down the concourse.

I hustled upstairs and found the 'transfer desk". I approached a handsome middle-aged gentlemen who was dressed in a crisp Korean Air blazer looking like he was fresh off the pages of a SkyHigh magazine. I recounted my story of the misplaced iPad, giving him the flight number and my seat number. He picked up the phone, spoke in calm Korean. Then looked up at me and said "I'll be right back" and calmly strolled down the concourse. About 8-10 minutes later he appeared with a sweet smile on his face, under his arm was my iPad. I almost hugged him. He just patted the iPad and handed it to me. I thanked him and took off down the escalator ready to eat a Subway before boarding. When I found Graham at the gate, I said "Let's eat!" He said, "We have to have Korean currency"...So much for the food, but at least we found the iPad!!


2 comments:

  1. Blog works great. Keep us posted with lots of pictures.

    Pop Epting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You ARE having an adventure! I'm so glad you were able to get your iPad back. Can't wait to follow your trip on your blog!

    ReplyDelete